What is Magnesium Oxide (MGO) – Health Benefits
MGO or magnesium oxide is a white hygroscopic mineral used to prevent magnesium deficiency or to supplement a diet. Doctors may recommend this supplement to relieve heartburn, stomach acidity, and an irritated stomach. Magnesium deficiency can be a contributing cause of various health complications such as; weight gain, cardiovascular complications, and leg cramps. Magnesium plays an important role in hundreds of body chemical functions. This makes it one of the most important nutrients in the body.
Today, many people consume processed foods which cannot fulfill the daily recommended amount of magnesium. Magnesium supplements help individuals maintain the daily recommended amounts. While there are numerous supplements to choose from, it is important to note that they come with different compositions. Some magnesium supplements are specially formulated for specific functions. People react differently to supplements. Although some people may experience side effects, others may find them quite effective.
Risks involved in taking Magnesium Oxide
Over the years, magnesium oxide has become quite popular among many individuals. This can be attributed to the fact that it comes at a reasonable price. However, it is important to understand the possible side effects and risks affiliated to this supplement. Magnesium oxide is said to be non-chelated. This means that it does not absorb properly in comparison with other mineral supplements. According to further research, some users experienced moderate diarrhea. Experts say that some formulations of this supplement may indeed cause mild diarrhea while others have minimum side effects.
Just like any other drug, an overdose of magnesium oxide can cause detrimental effects to the body such as;
- Low blood pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
Researchers found that when used according to doctor’s prescription, this supplement rarely causes allergic reactions.
When to avoid Magnesium Oxide
Before taking this supplement, it is important to consult the doctor especially for people who suffer from heart, kidney, and stomach related diseases. Individuals under medication should also reveal this to the doctor. This is necessary as it avoids any possible drug interaction.
Pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, and women planning to get pregnant should seek medical advice before taking magnesium oxide supplement. Individuals who are allergic to certain ingredients included in magnesium oxide should also seek doctor’s intervention.
Additionally, one should seek medical advice before taking Magnesium oxide when;
- Under herbal, prescription, dietary supplements, and nonprescription medicine.
- They have any type of food and medicine allergy
Watch out for possible serious side effects such as;
- A congested chest
- Swelling of the tongue, face, and mouth
- Breathing complications and severe itching
- Nausea and subsequent vomiting
How to Observe Safety while Using Magnesium Oxide
- One should not take magnesium oxide for more than two weeks without a doctor’s prescription. Additionally, avoid taking more than two tablets within a 24-hour span.
- If magnesium oxide is used to relieve stomach problems or acidity, the symptoms should subside within two weeks. If this does not happen, one should discontinue use and seek doctor's advice.
- Magnesium oxide should be taken according to doctor's directions. Individuals can also read the attached label for instructions. Magnesium oxide should be taken by mouth with food. Do not take double doses at a time even when you miss a dose.
- The doctor may have to carry out magnesium level tests on individuals using magnesium oxide. This helps check for; possible side effects and monitor the effectiveness of the supplement. It is, therefore, advisable to adhere to doctor's appointments.
- Children below 6 years are prohibited from using magnesium oxide.
How to Store Magnesium Oxide
Store magnesium oxide under room temperature away from direct heat, light, and moisture. Do not keep it where pets and children can reach.
Supplements are important in the body as they help curb nutrient deficiency. However, avoid over the counter prescriptions as they may be detrimental to body health. Always consult a doctor before taking supplements. Observe safety especially when under other medication. People who suffer from health complications or have allergies should consult the doctor for guidance.
When using magnesium oxide to treat a certain complication, watch out for improvement or worsening of the symptoms. If the symptoms get worse or do not subside, seek immediate medical attention. Remember, everyone is different. Therefore, different medications may have varying effects on each individual. What works for one person may not work for another. Do not share medication with other people.